Saturday, April 12, 2014

MY MEDICAL EXAM EXPERIENCE AT SLEC

*NOTE: LINKS & Requirements are UPDATED Version as of 2016*


Hi everyone, I am back! I want to share my medical experience at St. Luke’s Medical Center - Extension Clinic, Ermita Manila.

(NOTE: SORRY THIS WILL BE LONG STORY! 

I am very detailed and if you don't want a long blog this is not for you.  PS. I am not a writer so please forgive me for the wrong grammar and my English :))

READ THIS FIRST!
   *SOURCE FROM WEBSITE OF SLEC.PH*

January 13, 2014 I visited my agency, Rapid Visa to set up my interview date and my medical appointment. I can do it on my own but I decided to still give them a visit so I can personally talk to staff and ask some questions. I don’t know where exactly their office but thanks to my husband, he sent me picture of the map where it’s located and gave me some instructions. But to my dismayed, he sent the wrong directions. Haha! So no choice but I had to call their office and ask about the address myself. I was so happy when I realized it was just a few steps away from where I am. (Lesson learned; don’t ask the husband about the Philippines map LOL).

During my visit they told me it’s their first time to handle a case like us. (Our petition was expedited at USCIS and NVC) That means we skip NVC stage and our case directly routed at USEM. I told them, I have a friend on Facebook that same case like mine and she shared with me what’s next to do. So, they let me use their office telephone and I’d set appointment date at USEM via call center. After setting up my interview date, they assisted me also in setting appointment at SLEC then filled up DS 260 online, and in just a few minutes it’s all done. Of course they gave me printed copies and rearranged of what I should bring.

For Online Medical Registration Schedule: 
CLICK THE LINK BELOW:
http://www.slec.ph/us/registration

Required Documents to bring:
  1. REGULAR IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICANTS (SPOUSE VISA)

  2. EACH APPLICANT MUST PRESENT THE FOLLOWING:
    1. Valid passport
    2. 1 photocopy of Passport Biographic/Data Page, the page in the passport that contains the applicant's photo and information. Photocopy on short bond paper. Passport photocopy should be the same size as the original, not enlarged or reduced.
    3. 4 pieces recent 2"x2" visa photos (see visa photo guide ), 3 for submission to the U.S. Embassy, 1 for clinic file. ALL PHOTOS MUST BE IDENTICAL. Write the applicant's complete name at the back of each photo.

      The US Embassy requires you to bring the 2x2 photos for your visa issuance. We regret not to release the medical report until such time that you can provide this requirement.

    4. Interview letter from the National Visa Center (NVC) or Visa Interview Appxointment Confirmation from the Embassy

      • Principal Applicant - original & 1 photocopy
      • Derivatives - 1 photocopy each
      If Interview letter or Visa Interview Confirmation was received via email, print 2 copies for the principal applicant and 1 copy for each derivative

    5. For applicants who registered online, 1 copy of the online registration confirmation form
    6. Applicants who did not register online are required to provide the name, address (include city, state, and zip code), contact number, and email address of their petitioner in the U.S.A.
      • Minors (17 years old and below) must be accompanied by their parent or by a legal guardian who has thorough knowledge of the child's medical history.
        The parent or legal guardian must present a government issued ID (original and 2 photocopies)
        In case the companion is not the legal guardian, the following documents must be presented:
        • Letter of Authorization or Special power of attorney stating that the companion is authorized to sign on behalf of the parent
        • 2 photocopies of the Parent's government issued ID
        • Authorized companion's government issued ID, original and 2 photocopies
      • Regardless of current marital status, applicants who have had previous marriages that were nullified through annulment are required to present the annulment papers (court decision) before their medical report can be completed.
      • Additional documents that you may bring, if applicable

    7. K VISA APPLICANTS

    8. EACH APPLICANT MUST PRESENT THE FOLLOWING:
      1. Valid passport
      2. 1 photocopy of Passport Biographic/Data Page, the page in the passport that contains the applicant's photo and information. Photocopy on short bond paper. Passport photocopy should be the same size as the original, not enlarged or reduced.
      3. 4 pieces recent 2"x2" visa photos (see visa photo guide), 3 for submission to the U.S. Embassy, 1 for clinic file. ALL PHOTOS MUST BE IDENTICAL. Write the applicant's complete name at the back of each photo.

        The US Embassy requires you to bring the 2x2 photos for your visa issuance. We regret not to release the medical report until such time that you can provide this requirement.

      4. Letter with Case Number

        • Principal Applicant - original & 1 photocopy
        • Derivatives - 1 photocopy each

        If Letter of Case Number was received via email, print 2 copies for the principal applicant and 1 copies for each derivative.


      5. Visa Interview Appointment Confirmation from the U.S. Embassy , if available

        • Principal Applicant - original & 2 photocopies
        • Derivatives - 1 photocopy each
        If Visa Interview Appointment Confirmation was received via email, print 2 copies for the principal applicant and 1 copies for each derivative.


      6. For applicants who registered online, 1 copy of the online registration confirmation form
      7. Applicants who did not register online are required to provide the name, address (include city, state, and zip code), contact number, and email address of their petitioner in the U.S.A.

      • Minors (17 years old and below) must be accompanied by their parent or by a legal guardian who has thorough knowledge of the child's medical history.
        The parent or legal guardian must present a government issued ID (original and 2 photocopies)
        In case the companion is not the legal guardian, the following documents must be presented:
        • Letter of Authorization or Special power of attorney stating that the companion is authorized to sign on behalf of the parent
        • 2 photocopies of the Parent's government issued ID
        • Authorized companion's government issued ID, original and 2 photocopies
      • Regardless of current marital status, applicants who have had previous marriages that were nullified through annulment are required to present the annulment papers (court decision) before their medical report can be completed.
      • Additional documents that you may bring, if applicable

MY MEDICAL EXAM EXPERIENCE AT SLEC

PART 1

Tuesday, January 21, 2014. I got up about 4:00 o’clock in the morning. Took a bath and prepared myself. Finished about 30 minutes and just arrived at St. Lukes exactly 5 am. There’s no long line so I think to myself, yay I am so early but I was surprised when I saw there’s a lot of people waiting inside. The guard checked all my requirements, gave me a number (oh its 43) and stamped the back of my hand before he let me inside.  I took a seat and texted my Facebook friend, Gel Colors asking where she is. She’s sitting in front and there’s a vacant seat next to her so I occupied it. I haven’t had breakfast yet so I ask her to look for my chair while I’m outside to eat. Good thing there’s a Carinderia right across the street.



Around 6am, Staff at St.Lukes started calling out numbers by category to line up for US Reception area. They separate the senior citizen, online applicants, and walk-in applicants. When it was my turn, the guard checked my requirements and instructed to go to window counter D. I presented the documents to the staff then after basic interview at registration counter, he instructed me to go to the 5th floor to pay the medical fee at the cashier which $223 that time (cost Php 10, 024.00 *Note: Payment should be in Philippine currency) When its paid, the cashier instructed me to go to 3rd floor for my Chest X-ray.


I was so nervous because I had PTB before (but been medicated for 6 months) so they’ll surely see the PTB Scar. I gave my passport and receipt to the attendant then she gave me the form needed to be filled up. She asks me the first and last day of my menstruation and told me to wait for my name to be called. When my name was called, I went inside the change room and immediately take off my blouse and used the laboratory gown. (You need to tie your hair up and no jewelleries). Well, I’ve been drinking sterilized milk for a week believing it helps not to find any scar on my chest. My sister’s advise me about it, hoping that’s true.


After my Chest X-ray, I was then instructed to go to 4th floor for the urine (pregnancy test) and blood test. I gave my passport and receipt again to the attendant and she instructed me as usual to wait for my name to be called. When my name was called, I went inside the room for my blood test, I saw injections. Aww! I was so little nervous and so scared of the needle. The nurse said to me to relax and be calm. When she inject me, I was not looking at the injection instead I closed my eyes then suddenly it’s done. After that the attendant gave me a small cup for my urine collection and instructed me how much I needed to put on it.

Then after blood and urine test, I was instructed again to go to 5th floor for vital signs, height, weight, and eyes test. The nurse took my BP and she said I am low blood. After that she instructed me to go inside the Visual room. They measured my height and weight first then cover my one eye and ask me to read the letters they’re pointing at me. Then I was instructed to go to 2nd floor for Immunization Interview.



It was a long wait until my name was called. The Doctor asked me if I ever had chicken pox. I said yes but she wants me to show her my scar but I can’t find any. She asked if I ever had sickness before, and I told her the truth that I had PTB but already cleared from it. She asks for my medical records and my previous X-ray. She encodes something on the computer and gets it back to me. She said I’ll be getting 3 shots. Then she instructed me to go back to 5th floor again for Physical Exam.


At 5th floor the guard told me to wait for my name to be called. It’s another long wait. I seated there almost 30 minutes and I was so anxious. At last my name was called and I was given a number 6 and waited for my turn. The Doctor was so serious. She interviewed me very quick. She asked lots of health questions and after that she asked me to undress, and wear a patience gown. She instructed me to lie down on the bed and she started examining my ears, neck and breasts. She continued examines my body and I was so embarrassed but no choice but go with the flow and let her do her job. 


Then after a few minutes she instructed me to go to checkout counter at 3rd floor. It was 10:45 am. I gave my receipt to the counter and the lady at the counter asks me if I could wait for the result or want to go back next day. I said I’m going to wait. She said to go back at 2:30 pm. I still have more than 3 hours need to consume so I went outside the St. Lukes and right across the street there’s an internet cafe. I’ve rented computer to chat with my husband. After talking to him, I walked a few steps away to Mc Donald to take lunch. I was very hungry at the same time nervous for the result.


2:15 pm I got back at St. Lukes and was headed straight to 3rd floor. My name was called and the lady instructed me to go to 4th floor. I was so really nervous and so anxious because I am expecting to be instructed to go at 2nd floor. But I am still hoping that I’ll skip the sputum tests. I waited for about half an hour until my name was called together with other applicants. The attendant said, they saw something on our X-ray and we need to undergo sputum tests.


I WAS SO REALLY SAD. My eyes were teary but I’m doing all my best to hide my tears and not to cry in front of the lady. I asked her what’s the exactly diagnosed but she won’t tell me. She said something I don’t understand and instructed me that I need to cancel my appointment right away. She gave me the yellow paper with the schedule date of sputum tests (January 28, 29, 30). She explained the procedures, what to bring and not to do for my sputum tests. Its 3 consecutive days and I should not eat breakfast nor wear lipstick. After sputum tests or smear tests, they will culture it for 2 months. After giving instructions she told me that I can now go home.


My mind was so occupied while walking down the street. I was so upset and frustrated. I can’t stop the tears that flows from my eyes. I don’t care what other people would think of me. I was so felt down that time and I wanted to cry out loud. I dropped by at Robinson’s mall and find myself a seat at Food court. While sitting, I was still can’t stop crying. I sent messages to my husband telling the bad news... he was frustrated too! :(


To be continued!

............PART 2 will be posted soon...... WATCH OUT! God bless :)

1 comment:

  1. Your blog article is outstanding. Everything you have described is superb. I just want thank you for sharing the beneficial information. Please keep sharing more information.

    Form i-693 Medical Exam

    ReplyDelete